3.09.2011

Let's Talk About Alexander McQueen...

I'm going to admit it. I doubted Sarah Burton's abilities. I felt like she would be a decent fit when she was hired, but after her first collection I was a bit skeptical. There was something magical about a McQueen collection that would make me fall in love with it. I mean, head over heels in love. Even if the collection wasn't really my taste, it fascinated me, and I would refer to it again and again. With Burton's previous collection for McQueen, I didn't have that special connection. I don't think I looked at it more then twice.  Did she have the McQueen aesthetic? Yes. But I felt like she took McQueen's greatest hits and just tweaked them a bit. It just didn't sit well with me. 
However, one look at this new collection, and I was sold.  Looking at the fabrics, silhouettes and details in this collection, I'm so glad to say that I was once again fascinated. I never expected Miss Burton to be McQueen. That would be unreasonable. But I thought it very well put by one journalist today who said that there seems to be a lot of McQueen still in the McQueen brand. Then again, maybe there was always just a lot of Sara Burton in Lee's work.
When I saw just one look, a little tingle shot up my spine. The magic is back, and it's alive and well at Alexander McQueen.



Images via Style.com

5 comments :

Collections said...

Gorgeous dresses.

www.fashionablecollections.blogspot.com

Danyell Peterson said...

I definitely think Sarah Burton has proved herself. While I did like her previous collection, I think her fall work has sealed the deal. She's a great successor.

http://danyellpeterson.blogspot.com

joana said...

She had a big task in her hands but I guess she passed very well!

Jenmarie said...

Completely agree with you. The collection is bananas!

Anonymous said...

To be completely fair to Sara Burton ,she has been with McQueen since the beginning (they were at St. Martin's together) and if anyone knows the collection, it's her. She is only filling a natural space.