11.27.2012

Adventures In Fashion: That One Cool Time I Met Glenda Bailey And Elie Tahari


This actually happened.

Sorry for my blogging hiatus! I had a crazy week with Thanksgiving and college applications. I hope you had a lovely holiday! Today, I thought I'd share a really special experience I had during fashion week. Enjoy!
I'm a huge fan of Ammara and her brand (I've posted about her collections here), and I was so excited when she told me that she would be speaking at Saks Fifth Avenue. The event was held to celebrate the anniversary of Sak's Wear Now floor, and I was so excited to attend! My excitement grew even more when I found out that Harper's Bazaar's editor-in-chief Glenda Bailey, fashion stylist Mary Alice Stephenson, and fashion designers Elie Tahari, and Alice Temperley would also be in attendance. 
Harper's Bazaar really means a lot to me. HB was the first fashion magazine I subscribed to in middle school. I eagerly anticipated its arrival each month. Because of HB, I experienced for the first time what it's like to feel like you're in another world because of fashion. It didn't matter that I was 13 and living in upstate NY because I had fashion at my fingertips. The magazine helped me to realize my love of trends, and the editorials helped me develop my eye for photography.
To me, Glenda Bailey is on the same level of awesomeness as Super Man. I was determined to meet Glenda and thank her for the contribution she's made to my fashion career.
I hurt a bit to RSVP 'no' to several fashion shows in order to attend the event, but I decided that this was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The first designer piece I ever owned was a black Elie Tahari pencil skirt (purchased at the Poughkeepsie Salvation Army- I'm a sucker for thrift stores), and to this day it continues to be one of my favorite pieces. The possibility of being able to meet Glenda and Elie was just too amazing to pass up.
When I arrived at Saks, I instantly felt totally out of my league. I look forward to the day when I can attend a fashion event and not feel like a dorky 17 year-old. Fashion people started filling into the 5th floor, and I grabbed a seat and started reading the latest Issue of Harper's Bazaar to keep myself occupied. 

At long last, the panel began. Nothing too groundbreaking was said (questions from the audience to the panel included "What are the top trends for fall?" Answer: red and pointy-toed heels and "What are the benefits of shopping online?" Answer: not having to deal with rude store assistants). I loved hearing Glenda's stories about her work at the magazine. She was really straight forward and genuine, and it's easy to see that she's a very loved and respected editor. Mary Alice Stephenson even got emotional when she was talking about her work with Glenda and the kindness that Glenda showed her when she was getting her start.
My heart started pounding fast when the panel ended. Would I be able to meet Glenda? What would I say? I started chatting with one of Elie Tahari's PR girls and we agreed to take photos of each other with Glenda. I waited (nervously) nearby while Glenda chatted with other attendees. Suddenly, she was free. 'Here we go..." I thought. 
 "... Miss Bailey?"
I earnestly told Glenda how much Harper's inspired me growing up and how it helped me become who I am today, and I thanked her for how she has influenced me. She listened intently and thanked me, saying how grateful she was to hear my words. Then it happened. "Thank you so much for telling me!" Said Glenda. "Also, you're very Bazaar to me." "DID THAT JUST HAPPEN?" Screamed the voice in my head, and I almost toppled off my heels. "Thank you! ... You have no idea how much that means to me!" 
Having Glenda say that I was Bazzar is the equivalent to Shaq tell you you're good at basketball or Einstein tell you that you're smart. It was like she had given me a Harper's Bazaar stamp of approval, and that meant the world to me. 
I thanked my found new friend Katya (Elie Tahari's PR girl) for helping me get photos with Glenda. Just when I thought life couldn't be any better, she said "Would you like to meet Elie?" I think my response was "Seriously? That'd be great!" but what I was thinking was "Is this real life?" Elie was a really hilarious, really nice man. It was so awesome to speak with him. 

I walked from Saks to Grand Central feeling like I was on Cloud 9. I just kept playing the night over and over again in my mind. Meeting Glenda and Elie has been one of the highlights of my year, and I don't think I'll ever forget it.
This is me, taken in the Saks elevator when I was leaving. I didn't make this face. It was just sort of frozen that way.

1 comment :

Lizzie said...

Wow, this experience sounds amazing! It's so great that you met these fashion insiders :)

http://swooningforstyle.blogspot.com/