5.26.2011

The Bill Cunningham Movie!


It all started when my mom walked into the room and said "There's a movie I thought you might like to see that's playing tonight. I can't remember what it's called. I think It's called Bill Patterson? I don't know. But It's fashion related and I thought you might like it." I had no clue what she was talking about (this is normal. haha). So she went into the other room to look up the name of the film, and then yelled "Oh, Bill Cunningham! It's called Bill Cunningham!" 
   See, I was so exited to see the movie when it came out, but it only had a short run and I was unable to see it. So I was THRILLED to get a chance to finally see the film and see Bill in action.
I wasn't expecting to, but I ended up gaining quite a lot of knowledge and insight from the movie.  As a blogger seeing how precise Bill is about his page in The New York Times is interesting to me. It has to be perfect, or it won't go to print. He's also a lot like me in the way his house is laid out. Very few possessions, but decades worth of magazines. My room is the same way, I love my magazines. Every time I get paid I dash to the newsstands, and lately Emmanuels fantastic French Vogues are leaving me quite penniless.
It was fun to see Bill work and see how he lives his life. He's someone who is well respected and loved, yet totally honest and kind hearted in all his work and in all he publishes. I think that's really rare today. If you have a chance, PLEASE make sure you see this movie. I loved it so much and if would love to see it again if I could. Anna Dello Russo, Anna Wintour, and dozens of other fashion icons are in the movie as well. 

4 comments :

Laura Michaud said...

I want to see this movie so bad! I may have to wait for it on Netflix. Movies like this never come to my small town in Maine :(

Freya said...

i have to see that movie!!!!!is it on the internet?

http://heelsbiggerthanyourdick.blogspot.com

Madeleine Roberts said...

I want to see the movie as well. Seems very intriguing.
I am so happy you wrote a post about the film and I could gain a little insight into the film--definitely spurring more fascination
-Madeleine

Sarah Justine said...

@Laura- Don't despair! I had no hope that it would come to my small town either, but it came to a neighboring (but equally small) town. I had to drive almost an hour away to see it! And if all else fails, yes, there is always netflix :). Best of luck!

@Freya- Not at the moment, but I have a feeling it might be on netflix.

@Madeleine- Your name is so gorgeous! I hope you get the chance to see it, it was really fantastic.

Thanks for the comments, Lovelies!

-Justine